Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein was fired by the Weinstein Company over the weekend amid a scandal that may go down as one of the worst in history.
The New York Times reported that the Hollywood mogul from Queens, N.Y., had been accused of sexual harassment by no fewer than eight women. The women tended to receive payouts between $80,000 and $150,000, the Times reported, but were not allowed to speak about the allegations. A lawyer Weinstein has hired has pledged to sue the New York Times, claiming the article was false and filled with defamatory statements.
Weinstein, who has produced such films as Shakespeare in Love and Gangs of New York, is now so radioactive that Democrats are rushing to return money that the Hollywood mogul has contributed to them. Via CBS News:
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Massachusetts, received $5,000 from Weinstein in 2012, and plans to donate that money to Casa Myrna, a nonprofit group in Massachusetts.
- Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, received $5,100 from Weinstein between 2010 and 2016, and plans to donate the contributions to the Women’s Fund at the Vermont Community Foundation.
- Weinstein donated $7,800 to Sen. Cory Booker, D-New Jersey, during the 2014 election, and Booker plans to donate it to the
- New Jersey Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-New York, will donate all $14,200 he received from Weinstein to several charities supporting women.
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-New York has received more than $10,000 from Weinstein through the years, and plans to donate the funds to RAAIN.
This may look like a lot of money. But it’s small potatoes compared to what Weinstein, a longtime supporter of the Democratic Party, has given over the years. According to Business Insider (see above), Weinstein has personally donated $894,373 and bundled and bundled $1,422,683 million for a grand total of $2,317,056.
The largest portion of that by far is the $305,149 he gave the Democratic National Committee. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee comes in second, with $193,392. The candidate that Weinstein gave the most money to? Former president Barack Obama, who collected $45,800 thanks to Weinstein.
DNC officials announced that “over $30,000” of Weinstein’s donations will be donated to three charities: Emily’s List, Emerge America and Higher Heights.
[Image Credit: Youtube]
This post How Much Money Has Harvey Weinstein Given to Democrats? was originally published on Intellectual Takeout by Jon Miltimore.