Brunei is a tiny sovereign state located on the island of Borneo. Its government, as described by Wikipedia, is a unitary Islamic absolute monarchy, and at least 65% of their 420,000-strong population is Muslim. As for the other 35%, they might as well convert — because Sultan (read: dictator) Hassanal Bolkiah has made it a criminal offense to celebrate Christmas in public:
Brunei introduced its ban on Christmas last year over fears that celebrating it “excessively and openly” could lead its Muslim population astray.
Christians and others can celebrate Christmas, but must do so in private and have to first alert the authorities.
Local Islamic religious leaders have promoted the ban, warning that adopting the trappings of Christmas is tantamount to imitation of another faith, prohibited in some interpretations of Islam.
Officials from the Ministry of Religious Affairs have also reportedly visited local businesses to ensure they are not displaying Christmas decorations, including Santa hats and banners with Christmas greetings.
Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, who has ruled the former British colony for nearly 50 years, introduced the ban on Christmas in 2014, the same year Brunei adopted a stricter penal code, based on Islamic sharia and including punishments such as stoning and amputation.
The Christmas ban is justified under the new laws – the punishment for celebrating Christmas is a fine of $20,000 or up to five years in prison, or both.
Brunei also adopted sharia law in 2014.
If you want an idea of what life would look like if ISIS gets their way, this is about as close to a real-world example as it gets.